Sunday, January 18, 2015

New Places, Newly Resurected Blog

Hello blog-land! It has been a while, as per usual. But for real, I am going to try and blog often here. I'm gonna go ahead and say every week and fingers crossed I stick to it. Here's a preliminary post about just getting here, but stay tuned for one about the road trip, and one with more Death Valley deets.
-------------

For basically our entire trip across the country, Amelia and I would get into each new city after dark. The upside of this was that we got to magically wake up in a totally new place each morning, and view the city and landscape after a few hours of sleep. 

I experienced the same pattern here in my new home of Death Valley. I drove in at twilight, after a stressful couple of hours shopping and gassing up and getting an emissions test done on my car in the “nearby” town of Ridgecrest. All I saw after crossing the border into Death Valley were signs about the elevation-- climbing up in the mountains and then dropping to Sea Level just before I got to my dorm.

All I really wanted to say in this post is that waking up here is incredible. Driving around and pinching myself and realizing over and over again that I live here is incredible. It’s the harshest of harsh deserts but I’m loving it. Even when I wake up completely parched every morning, I get to look outside and see this:


























Bam.

No comments:

Post a Comment