Wednesday, April 8, 2015

traveling alone

I'm currently on my first ever solo trip. Camping on my own, in my car, in a new place. I have once again not followed through on my blogging promise-- things just got too busy over in Death Valley. But now I'm away in the Eastern Sierras, with lots of time (well, two days) to reflect on my winter and share some snippets with you. But first I'll share about this whole solo-tripping thing.

The pros:
I did not have to plan in advance whatsoever
I can stop wherever I want
I can camp wherever I want (mostly)
I can listen to whatever I want (ahem, Harry Potter and country music)
I can smell bad
I can let my car get super messy
I can change my "plans" without checking with someone
I can just say things and sing things
Two people wouldn't fit super well anyway in the back of the car with all of the shit I have piled in there
I'm more willing to talk to people to get advice

The cons:
No one to share magnificent views with
Gas is getting expensivo
Didn't have anyone to freak out with about the full salsa bar last night
Camping alone is sort of scary/ I'm really good at scaring myself
I don't push myself to get out and hike that much, hence why I'm currently lounging in a coffee shop
Basically surviving on digestive biscuits

So, it does seem like I have more pros than cons. But wow,  I am SO excited to travel with a buddy for the road trip back across the country. Solo-tripping is something that I'm sure I'll do a lot more of, and I'll definitely appreciate it when I do it, and vice versa for buddy-traveling. Gotta have both experiences to appreciate the ups and downs of each.






No comments:

Post a Comment