Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Life at Bear Brook

Day 3 here at Bear Brook, my home for the next 10 months. Eek! We don't have great internet, so no pictures yet, but it is quite beautiful, let me tell ya. We are a few miles into Bear Brook State Park in a large lodge built by The CCC. The lodge is full of old couches where we meet, and long wooden tables where we dine and plan. There is an industrial kitchen which is oddly comforting in its familiar Simple Green and bleach solutions, dish racks and the sanitizing machine. We have 3 toilets in two bathrooms for all 30 of us, and a laundry room.

All 30 of us aforementioned Corps Members live in 5 smaller cabins all about a 5 minute walk from the lodge. The cabins are winterized but don't have electricity. New skill I have picked up: how to turn on a propane light! The cabins also don't have central heat-- we have wood stoves! I'm relearning the skills of wood stove lighting that have faded since my time in Alaska. Wood stoves also involve chopping wood, so I'm practicing that too with uhhhh a lot of room for improvement.

The food so far is fantastic. All vegetarian diet with lots of beans and produce and yummy sauces. Since it's training, we get all of our dinners cooked for us. Once the season starts though, we'll be in cook teams that correspond with our teaching teams. Breakfast is basically a continental cereal spread, and lunch is a salad/sandwich/leftovers smorgasbord. AND get this: if I want to eat leftovers for breakfast I totally can. Dinner for bekfart!!

More detailed and coherent post later. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment