Monday, April 23, 2012

April salamanders

It would be too difficult to summarize my amphibian/children/friend packed week in a blog post, so here it is - salamander style.


Part 1: I was in Maine helping my dear friend Lucy with her amphibian camp. Many salamanders to be found!
We counted spotted salamander egg masses in various ponds and vernal pools on MDI
Caught stream salamanders (two-lined) in Mill Brook at the Cox property
Found two headless spotted salamanders...
We also found frogs. And on my last night in town Matt showed me some live spotted salamanders hanging around in some pools. What a relief! Spring without holding a real spotted would have been disappointing.

Part 2: Opening weekend at the Cove - could not leave until I thoroughly searched the stream for salamanders. Of all addicting pastimes, I feel pretty OK about this one.

Not sure what species- maybe dusky.
Northern red
Dusky
Long-tailed. My favorite- hands down.
Tomorrow I will begin my journey to lands with no salamanders, so I'm very glad to have spent some quality time with these guys this past week.
Next up: Reptiles in Arizona!


No comments:

Post a Comment